I know you already learned about the "Right Way (tm)",
but here is an additional comment to your suggestion:

You should not rely on SIGUSR. Some versions of the
Linux/glibc pthread implementation are using SIGUSR
internally. And besides, signal handling in a multithreaded
application is hard to get right. Better don't do this
and use something that can be handled synchronously.

Regards
  Jörg