one comment about Matt's approach to use SIM storage:

While debugging AT2 over the last few days I discovered that Nokia
phones have a big weakness which make them only really work well if
using SIM storage.

While testing I sent messages to myself. For some reason the message
went out but my code didnt detect it. So I've seen

AT+CMGS=...
>  <pdu>

And the message was sent and my code was waiting for "OK". In this
moment the phone's display was saying "there is no space left to
store the incoming message". In other words, the message I've just
sent already came back to the phone but couldnt be delivered to the
AT interface as it was busy still with the sending request. With the
Siemens modems this was never the case as they simply gave an
inidcation of a waiting message. So its obviously that Nokiapones
will never work reliably with the way we send & receive messages. So
for those cases the use of SIM storage is useful. The nokia phones
also do not support packet mode. Packet mode is a different SMS
access method compared to AT commands whereas you switch to packet
mode and you receive packets with headers and trailers and checksums
which you have to aknowledge (as it is also the case with most
protocols like EMI/UCP or CIMD2). As using the AT commands often is
kludgy and modems interpret standards slightly different, i was
looking into using packet mode in AT2 (or maybe AT3...). My Nokia
6210 however doesnt understand the command to switch to packet mode.

So, yes we want SIM storage support. But we should make it
configurable. I agree with Stipe's comment of having temporarely
smsc_at3.c would be advisable. I would then come up with at4 for
packet mode :-)...

But one day we will end up with at5 incorporating all of the features
under one hat.

--

Andreas Fink
Fink-Consulting

Tel: +41-61-6932730 Fax: +41-61-6932729  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: A. Fink, Schwarzwaldallee 16, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Homepage: http://www.finkconsulting.com
Something urgent? Try http://www.smsrelay.com/  Nickname afink