>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>  As I see it this approach with octstr_compare is a part of the Kannel's
>>  protective coding style where the NULL pointers are not meant to  be used
>>  as any other similar pointer. So the assert prevents the NULL pointer to
>>  go on loosely and stops it before it may cause a segmentation fault on
>>  some other part of the program that is not ready to handle NULL pointers.
>>  Therefore the line between a NULL pointer and an empty octstr; first one
>>  is an accident that shouldn't happen, the latter is a way to say that
>>  there is no content.
>
>I agree in the view of protective coding style, hence we may
>distringuish between a NULL pointer and an empty content, IMO.

Ok. how about dealing with NULL as a different string of "" but still
being able to compare NULL to something and NULL to NULL?

--

Andreas Fink
Fink-Consulting

Tel: +41-61-6932730 Fax: +41-61-6932729  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: A. Fink, Schwarzwaldallee 16, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Homepage: http://www.finkconsulting.com
Something urgent? Try http://www.smsrelay.com/  Nickname afink