On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 02:53:26PM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> Benjamin Lee wrote:
> > Does this imply that the server it was running on ran out of memory? Or, is
> > there a subtle leak somewhere?
>
> No, Kannel has a limitation if you run it in --with-malloc=check mode
> which is the default setting while configuring.

Actually, if the problem shows up after a long uptime (and not at a
particularly high load) then it does indicate a memory leak.

If it only shows up at peak loads then it simply points at a well-known
design problem in Kannel which is that the amount of memory it uses
can grow without limit under high load.  Fixing that would be a major
project.

In either case, Stipe is right in that the panic was from the malloc
checking code, and not from the server running out of memory.
I just wanted to point out that if you get that panic, it still
means there's an actual bug.  You can hide it by turning off the
malloc checker and installing lots of memory :-)

Richard Braakman