>>Hey guys,
>>
>>I'm doing some research and testing here, and have been using kannel for a
>>while now to act as our SMSC using sms modems. All is well so far, but i
>>started using SMPPSim to test the smpp features of kannel as we're going to
>>have to link to some carriers' smscs now. Ive found that in kannel 1.1.15 the
>>smpp stuff crashes half the time with an octstr line, and I noticed
>>a patch for
>>it in the cvs version, but Im not too comfortable using cvs in production (as
>>you might imagine!) I also noticed that the last packaged release (1.1.15) was
>>a LONG time ago. Do you guys plan on releasing a new version of kannel soon?
>
>probably. You should definitively go for CVS. I use it in a
>productive environment and its very stable. I mainly use it with
>EMI/UCP and with SMPP. As far as crashes with octstr goes, they are
>usually panics there because something is wrong like something which
>is indicated in the SMPP specs has not been included in the SMPP
>packets so its used to figure out what's wrong. You should consider
>run_kannel_box. This application simply restarts kannel immediately
>should it crash.

Yes, I use run_kannel_box and it brings kannel back, I was just trying to avoid
the constant crash altogether. Can you reccomend a certain version or tag to
grab out of cvs that is tried & true? I cant afford to have it blow up at me.

>>Would you reccomend even using kannel for production as it stands right now?

>yes. I'm sending a few million SMS through it every month.

I would be pushing close to this number every day. Can it still handle the
load? :)

>>  or is it even worth it? Just looking for some honest
>>feedback from you guys here. My company also entertained the idea of
>>paying for
>>kannel development, but we need someone in the Vancouver, BC, Canada
>>area as we
>>need face-to-face consulting from time to time on it. :/

>If you need support, we can do that. However I'm not in Vancouver but
>in Switzerland but I wouldnt mind going there again. I've been there
>a few times.

We arent really looking to relocate someone, but if you move back to vancouver
on your own we would be willing to contract you :) Its not full time however..
so, it may not be worth it. :) I can find out if we would still need support
from a remote location, i imagine we may.