>I aggree with you that the current code is rather messy.
>We need just two cases: text and binary. Text should be
>in unicode while binary messages should be left alone.
>
>Then the the SMSC drivers could convert text messages into
>their local encoding, perform required splitting (with common
>infrastructure) and send the messages.

unicode and binary sounds ok to me. however it comes back to the
issue that we need recoding routines everywhere. Is a greek unicode
text now to be sent as unicode or as GSM alphabeth? is a text
suitable for ISO8859-1? how about characters which exist in multiple
unicode character tables? how to do pattern matching?

It aint easy, lots of things to think of.

--

Andreas Fink
Fink-Consulting

Tel: +41-61-6932730 Fax: +41-61-6932729  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: A. Fink, Schwarzwaldallee 16, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Homepage: http://www.finkconsulting.com
Something urgent? Try http://www.smsrelay.com/  Nickname afink