Stipe Tolj wrote:

> Bruno David Rodrigues wrote:
>
>>Is it worth to code it now that new gprs phones don't have wap over sms
>>option ?
>>

> BTW, has anyone ever seems something working with a commercial WAP GW
> and a real phone?!?!

Yes, you can, and yes, I have, using Kannel as my G/W.

Writing a NAT-like service that maps SMS MSISDNs to UDP port numbers is
easy; once you deal with gathering the concatenated SMS data together to
form a complete WDP message, you can then send it over the proxy to any
UDP/IP WAP gateway, and pick up the request. You will also need to make
sure you cache the "originating port" param from the application port
addressing UDH IE for when you get the answer and are ready to send the
SMs to the phone.

Connectionless WSP is quite easy, and works "out of the box" with
Kannel. Connection-oriented WSP over such a proxy crashes wapbox, which
seems to gag on the WTP originating address data.

As for usefulness -- hmm. I largely used this as a test case for the
bidirectional concatenation support for my (company's) SMS gateway. If
you make liberal use of "TP-MMS", you can improve the performance from
c. 60-90 seconds for a request to c. 10-15 seconds. (Paging operations
cost a lot in GSM.)

Newer phones only support USSD, true -- but some of those nasty SMSC
application protocols (CIMD2 and SMPP come to mind) can be also used
with some modifications with a "USSD Center" or with a pager network.

Thus, supporting WAP/SMS actually *does* make some sense -- it will
reduce the effort needed to do WAP/USSD, or support smart pagers.

David WHITE
CONNECT AUSTRIA