On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Stipe Tolj wrote:

> contiue? why? the password is logically longer than 8 octects, but the
> SMPP spec does not accept it to put it in the appropriate PDUs. So
> what should you do then? Cut the Password to 8 chars long and send the
> login sequence anyway? No, I don't think so.
>
> The assertion check fails, and a failing assertion check means a non
> recoverable state within the system, hence panic! This is my opinion
> about the functional logic.

But if you want to implement reloading of the configuration, non-fatal
errors should not cause panic (in fact, no error except running out of
memory, perhaps. Just revert to old configuration if the new one is
unacceptable). And this error is not fatal, it simply means that
this SMPP connection cannot be used (well, sort of).

If you want to exit because of faulty configuration that is okay, but
panic should be avoided as long as possible (and it is horror to
debug panics ;)

--
&kalle marjola
product concept manager