On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Stipe Tolj wrote:

> > > I'm happy to submit a patch if people are interested.
> >
> > My system supports getaddrinfo, but I don't know about others - especially
>cygwin-Win32. if this is portable across OS and libc versions, then I'd say -go for
>it :-)
>
> I'm not quite sure, but Cygwin seems to lack it. Please correct me
> someone if I'm wrong.
>
> Kieran, if you don't mind please send us the patch and we can try it
> on a local Cygwin installation.

I've checked the cygwin docs: the function is not mentioned.  That would
mean we're using undocumented features at best.

I've also referred to the openbsd and freebsd docs in their CVS tree,
and the function is marked as non-thread-safe.

The glibc version _is_ documented as thread-safe, while the Solaris 8
man page for the function isn't documented.

In short, it seems to be "#ifdef" heaven if we try to avoid the "one big
lock" approach, which demotivated me a little.  You do get IPv6 features
with getaddrinfo, although I don't know if this matters at the moment.

Is it worth working on?  I could have it activated via ./configure
--with-getaddrinfo (so that the default isn't affected) if you'd like?

Regards

Kieran