On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 08:23:56PM +0100, Andreas Fink wrote:

> Hongkong for example). There's a way to know exactly by looking it up
> in SS7 because when you do a SS7 number lookup, the answer will be a
> IMSI number and those are going to contain MCC (mobile country code)
> and MNC (mobile network code) which will give you the definitive answer
> to whom a specific SIM card belongs.

With mobile numbers (in the UK at least), Oftel hand out number ranges,
these will be "owned" by a network. I believe the owning network still
keeps the number in their HLR, but it "points" to another network.

If the new network also has the number ported their HLR will repoint
to another network (there may be some collaboration so it's repointed
from the original).

Since an SMSC will "talk" directly to the network's HLR to see if
the mobile is on-line or not it can then inject the SMS to the
correct network.

With the correct SS7 app, it could probably be done too.

There is an openss7.org project (mainly geared at voice stuff), but I
guess someone could port the GSM MAP protocols onto this (and then have
an SMSC or other system).

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
SMS steve-pager (at) gbnet.net [body] gpg 1024D/468952DB 2001-09-19