> This isn't Kannel's decision to make; this is data set by the
> end user's
> telephone, which may have requirements neither you nor I are
> (or could
> be) aware of. The analogy to a case-insensitive filesystem
> namespace is
> quite fitting if you think about it carefully.
>
> I did look at alt-dcs, and I consider it a kludge. Sorry.

You're absolutely right. I've had an explicit DCS value in the
SMS Msg struct for ages. It's required because there are just
too many SMSCs, MARs, front-ends and some devices that don't
implement DCS according to the specs. The Kannel code for
DCS is correct; its just inadequete in the face of so many
other broken implementations - for example I have an SMSC
link to an operator that will only accept an MT DCS value of 0
regardless of any other message characteristics and this is
an SMPP protocol link. Go figure.