Alan McNatty wrote:

> Can anyone think of a reason why Kannel might give up on a bad
> connection after a time (is there something in io_thread in smpp module
> that might cause a shutdown without reporting - I can only see, if fail
> continue, etc - all looks good).

it may be a memory exhausture. Either bearerbox (by looping in the
re-connection state) or other processes have been consuming to much
memory and the OS would deside on which process to drop silently. Just
an idea.

> Alternatively can anyone suggest position of addition debug printouts or
> some external monitoring of processors/threads that I can do that might
> help find the problem. The obvious thing to do is setup test connection
> and simply drop the interface to SMSC and leave running trying to
> connect - just wondering about supplementary logging that might help.

We have a so called 'safe_wrapper' bash script arround the bearerbox
that acts mainly the same was as 'safe_mysqld' for mysqld. Whenever
bearerbox fails by crashing, the script would create a failure log
directory <timestamp> and 'tail -2000' all logs to that failure log
directory, so admins can at least try to see what has happened.

Usually we have a PANIC in bearerbox that caused to stop. SEGFAULT or
other heavy failures are very rare in the past here at Wapme at least.

Stipe

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Wapme Systems AG

Vogelsanger Weg 80