This is a mail from Alexander. It seems his try didn't pass and he
asked me to forward.

Stipe

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Wapme Systems AG

Vogelsanger Weg 80
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
wapme.net - wherever you are
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Stipe,

kannst du bitte die mail unten an die ML forwarden, da von mir scheint nicht
angekommen zu sein... Danke!

Hi List,

just to keep you informed and to let you all to update your live Kannel's.
I have commited important bug fix for gw_gethostbyname function. Earlier we
have just copied a pointer to the new struct hostent , but unfortunately it's
not enough, because glibc use statically allocated buffers for pointers
stored within struct hostent. So we have a race condition, because next call
to gethostbyname function will overwrite this statically buffer and in worst
case we have SEGFAULT.
Here is the quote from `man gethostbyname`:
       The functions gethostbyname() and gethostbyaddr() may return
       pointers to static data, which may be overwritten by later calls.
       Copying the struct hostent does not suffice, since it contains
       pointers- a deep copy is required.

Commited version trying to use reentrant alternatives for gethostbyname,
unfortunately it's not a POSIX functions and every OS have a different call.
For now we have 3 types supported:
        1) 6 params for call (Linux version)
        2) 5 params for call (Solaris version)
        3) no reentrant function at all , make a deep copy of hostent pointers.

gethostbyname_r with 3 params for call doesn't supported yet (deep copy
 used), because I can't test it (implementation should be simple).

--
Best regards / Mit besten Grüßen aus Düsseldorf

Dipl.-Ing.
Alexander Malysh

Centrium GmbH
Vogelsanger Weg 80