×××× ××××× 25 ××××× 2003, 14:05, ×××× ×× ××× Rafael 'Dido'
Sevilla:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:42:42PM +0200, Oded Arbel wrote:
> > > Are such
> > > SMSC's that send text data packed as per GSM 03.38 common?
> >
> > you have to do this for GSM modems as they speak directly "on the wire".
> > all SMPP SMSCs I've talked with do this for you so you don't need to
> > worry about it.
>
> The SMPP SMSC made by ZTE (http://www.zte.com.cn) apparently sends and
> expects to receive GSM SMS text packed in that way, oddly enough. Does
> SMPP 3.3/3.4 say that it should be received unpacked or packed?  Don't
> have the specs on hand...

The SMPP spec only defines that the character set to be used is GSM 7 bit
alphabet according to GSM 03.38. GSM 03.38 defines this on page 7:

<quote>
GSM 7 bit default alphabet indicates that the TP-UD is coded from the GSM 7
bit default alphabet given in clause 6.1.2. when this character set is used,
the character of the message are packed in octets as shown in clause
6.1.2.1.1, and the message can consist of upto 160 characters.
</quote>

This says to me that 7bit text should always be packed by the originating
entity, but apparently this is not the case.

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)
+972-67-340014

::..
/real/ kernel hackers do
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/vmlinuz
and influence the Universal Randomosity Field.
        -- Gaal Yahas