×××× ××××× 11 ×××××× 2004, 11:10, ×××× ×× ××× Stipe Tolj:
> Hi James,
>
> Kannel has a smsc_soap.c Module that implements a SOAP/XML transport
> layer via HTTP for MT and MO SMS tranmission. The SOAP module hasn't
> been yet "linked" into the abstraction layer. You would have to modify
> slightly the bb_smscconn and smsccon files and simply "add" the
> smsc_soap.c functions prototype callers into the files and recompile.
>
> Actually I don't know which SOAP version it speaks.

It actually doesn't speak SOAP at all - the SOAP part of the name is completly
a distraction. what it does is provide infrstructure for handling XML based
messaging. unless the xml your provider speaks is very simple (and SOAP is
anything but simple - its an MS standard after all) the smsc_soap won't work
out of the box for you.
smsc_soap uses user supplied template files to generate XML messages by
sending the template as is over HTTP after replacing specially crafted
keywords in the text of the template with data from the sms message structure
of kannel. it supports all the attributes of the sms structure (at the time
of the writing) as well as some special names that denote special formatting.
if you need anything else I'm afraid you'd have to add formatting functions
into smsc_soap - but its very easy to do if you know some C. for MO and DLR
handliing it reads user supplied mapping files that map XML tags and
attributes into kannel sms message structure fields.

> The maintainer of
> the Module (Oded), seems to be inactive currently, even while he is
> still subscribed to the list AFAIK.

Alive and well, just awfully busy doing non-kannel related stuff. I still have
your email on my "to answer" list, sorry for not getting to it right now.

> @Oded: are you going to keep this up-to-date or may an other person
> pick up the module and keep maintaining it?

Any one who want to pick this up is welcome to do and will get all the help
from me (assuming I'm not too busy to answer emails, that is ;-). Currently
the company I work for is phasing out our Kannel installations and is moving
away from using Kannel based SMS products, so no company sponsored time from
me is going to be going into kannel in the foreseeable future. OTOH I have
full intention to keep working on Kannel in my spare time (whenever I find
some I'll let you know :-).

> Another option may be the
> usage of gSOAP, which is a superb SOAP server/client pre-processor
> layer for C. This would avoid all the fuzzy XML parsing and SOAP
> element handling itself inside.

Which is very good for real SOAP messaging. Unfortunatly I have not yet
encountered any SMS connectivity provider that actually uses SOAP. they may
label their products as SOAP (and some do) but its always some sort of
proprietary XML schema, which is what smsc_soap was designed to handle.

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)
+972-67-340014

::..
We'll cross that bridge when we come back to it later.