[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> -1 on the patch, first of all.
>
> The problem can be described as follows:
>
> your client sends a msg which (in case the smsc link is in dead state)
> can not be transported. Kannel treads this msg as "untransportable"
> and hence the mack->ack.nack = ack_failed _is_ send to your client
> application (smsbox in the usualy case).

A related question in this case is -- given that our application
effectively does it's own routing, billing, concatenation and character
set conversion of SMS messages, does it make sense for us to be
interfacing to Kannel at the "service" layer? Is there a better way to
interface directly to bearerbox and bypass smsbox altogether?

> This is more a semantical problem here. We "may" descide to threat
> such "unroutable" messages with failing DLRs. Any opionions from the
> others if this is reasonable?!

It seems reasonable to me -- our application acts as a high-level
interface for other services running on top of it, so there is a
requirement for it to be able to keep track of a message over it's
entire lifetime, from when it enters our system until it leaves it (is
processed by the service).

> BTW, why isn't it an option to let the smsc links online and let them
> try to reconnect on their own while you drop of the tcp layer from it?
> This would cause Kannel to hold up the msgs in the internal quques and
> dispose them when the link is established again. Where the DLRs will
> get transported then too.

The problem with this option is that I would like Kannel to reconnect
ASAP after the PPP link comes back up. If I were to leave the SMSCs up
at the Kannel end then Kannel will (sensibly) employ it's backoff
algorithm for reconnecting, which is fine if you are experiencing a
network error, but not if you want to poll the SMSC at regular
intervals.

The whole solution is a hack, currently the operator is refusing any
other options outside of dialup or leased line and the amount of traffic
on this link does not make it worthwhile to implement a leased line
here. Very silly of them, since all the other operators in Belgium
happily let us connect to their SMSCs via IPSec VPNs.

-mato