You are rigth, I give up.
I have printed basic rules from one of the first final WSP spec (1998).
As I see it was changed. Heh, I'll need to refresh some printed hand-on
materials :(.

Aarno Syvänen wrote:
Slave, what spec are you reading ?

 From WAP-203-WSP-20000504, clause 8.4.2.1:

Constrained-encoding = Extension-Media | Short-integer
; This encoding is used for token values, which have no well-known binary encoding, or when
; the assigned number of the well-known encoding is small enough to fit into Short-integer.

Extension-media = *TEXT End-of-string
; This encoding is used for media values, which have no well-known binary encoding

Aarno