Alex,

sorry seems I overlooked your mail :(

Not a problem. I see how much mail you respond to on a daily basis. :P

hmm, I don't see a problem with this... pdu struct is a union (means always
fixed size) and only the needed values are filled/allocated.
as to the macros above... the idea is pretty simple, you let compiler
generate 2 functions for submit_sm and data_sm at the same time just
maintaining only one copy of shared operations. so you have something like
this:

hope it's clear now...

Yep, it all makes sense now. Where should I put this #define that creates my two functions? Should I leave it in smsc_smpp.c where the existing code is or move it to a .def or what? From a maintenance note, the required \ on the end of each line is going to be a pain. However if that's the best way to do it then so be it (I know it's required for the macro). I've updated the source on my machine to the latest in CVS to make the merge easier when I've got my changes re-created and in multiple patch form. Thanks for your help. :)

Jon