The scenario il RedHat 7.3 with:
./configure --enable-start-stop-daemon --disable-wap --with-mysql --with-mysql-dir=/usr/lib/mysql/lib --disable-ssl --disable-wap

configure,make,make install with no problems.

hm... can it be reproduced?!

Stipe

Well I don't if I can have it "reproduced".
Infact I've recompiled the same CVS many times also making a 'make clean' so I think it's something related to the distribution or a lib in it because the executable goes to 98%.
The latest stable (not cvs) compiled in same platform, goes ok.

I will try do debug it a little with those commands sent to me and I will send you asap the conf files in private mail.

Ciao