Hi,

I find it odd that you have seen no SMSC which required that option. I personally tried transmitting "a¡b" as originator over 7 different gateways with the patch on. 5 of them assumed GSM in both source_addr and short_message, and the originator stayed "a¡b" (The actual transmitted source_addr was "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"). One required iso-8859-1 in both source_addr and short_message and the originator became "a¡b" (Transfered as "a¡b" as alt_charset=iso-8859-1). The last one required iso-8859-1 in source_addr and GSM in short_message and the resulting originator was "[EMAIL PROTECTED]". So yes, it ought to be configurable (although I hear complaints of too many configuration options) since it clearly differ from SMSC to SMSC, but I am really surprised that I magically have found all the gateways which DID expect GSM charset. I work in a Danish company, and so several of our customers are Scandinavian and would like to have the letters Æ,Ø,Å in the source_addr, and without the patch, these characters are replaced with spaces or something random by the SMSC.

I took a closer look at the actual SMPP spec, and they stated that C-octet-strings can only have ASCII characters, so if the protocol is followed exactly as written, Scandinavia have lost :(

If I create a new patch where the option i selectable, would it then have a better chance of entering the CVS, or shouldn't I bother at all?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Peter Christensen

Developer
------------------
Cool Systems ApS

Tel: +45 2888 1600
 @ : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: www.coolsystems.dk

Alexander Malysh wrote:
Hi,

sorry for delay...

I'm -1 for the kannel.smpp.apha_gsm.patch in it form as is. The fact is really simple. With the patch in it's form it's not possible to restore default behavior (sender: latin1, msg: gsm) because it's depend on alt_charset that also used for message body. And as I don't know any SMSC that need this feature I would say: default behavior must stay.

Thanks,
Alex

Hillel wrote:
Dear Alex,

Please if the diffs from Peter are in the correct format will you consider
installing into CVS the kannel.smpp.cp1252.diff and
kannel.smpp.alpha_gsm.diff.

I've been emailing Peter and he explained the two patches gives support for
€ in both alphanumeric numbers as
well as the actual message body. Its also helps to send many other
characters.

This is very useful.

Please re-consider your +0 you gave the patch.

Thanks