On 08.07.2008, at 06:16, Bostock James wrote:

From: Stipe Tolj
Sent: 07 July 2008 19:17

Stipe Tolj schrieb:

Can you point out why you need to omit the .depend file creation if
the
compiler is not gcc?

i.e. the Intel CC handles the options and can build without changes.

The native compilers for AIX, HP-UX and Solaris do not handle these
options. If a compiler other than gcc supports these options, though,
then my patch goes from a quick fix to an ugly and inaccurate quick fix
:(

Other solutions would be to:
- have autoconf try to detect whether the compiler supports -MM,
- use the X11 makedepend utility,
- use automake.

My preference would be for the last of these. What do other people
think?

MacOS X also often has issues with precompiled headers due to the fact that Apple's GCC variant can compile multiple architectures in one go (for example if you pass -arch ppc -arch i386 -arch ppc64 -arch x86_64). In this case the precompiled headers can be different as things like size of () do return different values and endianness is different. So instead of one .depend it would have to create multiple ones.
So gcc does return:

gcc-4.0: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags

So under MacOS X I often use --disable-dependency-tracking or I compile for every architecture once and merge the binaries it with "lipo" lateron. Kannel doesnt have this issue as I fixed the endianness and sizeof issues. In the case of kannel its compiling for multiple architectures and disables -M.

-james