Hi,

I support Alex because this can easily be resolved at the application
level. Several countries may as well have other requirments and would
this mean having patches for all the countries?

On 2/26/09, Alexander Malysh <amal...@kannel.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> distro packages have nothing todo with this hack.
>
> Kannel has following rule:
>       no specific workarounds (and this hack is only India specific and is
> only for commercial MT)
>
> If we break this rule we have to do more work to allow all the needed
> workarounds and maintain these,
> what is the real work.
>
> The second think about this patch: why should this go into SMPP
> module? why it's not possible to do
> at application level before submitting message to kannel? I really
> don't see reason to accept this patch.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> Am 26.02.2009 um 08:09 schrieb Enver ALTIN:
>
>> Hi Stipe,
>>
>> At first glance, my reaction was neutral like you but then I think
>> somehow it needs to go in.
>>
>> A comfortable Kannel experience today is to download the source code
>> from CVS, build and use that. This was how a Slackware or Gentoo user
>> would get things done nearly a decade ago, but things change.
>>
>> There are excellent distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and
>> SuSE;
>> and that's what people actually use. If there is a Kannel package
>> provided by their distribution of choice, they use that.
>>
>> Now, think about people from India. You're really putting a
>> roadblock on
>> their way. They just can't use the OpenSolaris package as it is, if
>> there's one, they'll have to rebuild it. And it's really dumb to have
>> development tools installed on a production server, for many reasons.
>>
>> Short story, it should be in.
>>
>> PS: We really should start encouraging people to use distro packages
>> at
>> some point.
>>
>> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 16:34 +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> according to the TRAI, all SMSC in India need to use prefixes in
>>> TON=5
>>> (alphanumeric) source addresses since 2009-02-01.
>>>
>>> Please find a corresponding patch against 1.4.3 and CVS HEAD at
>>>
>>>  http://www.kannel.org/~tolj/patchsets/TRAI/
>>>
>>> along with the official direction statement of the TRAI.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if we want to "mainline" this into CVS, since it
>>> exposes another
>>> config directive to the smsc group. But as this is of general
>>> interest to all
>>> users from India, please feel free to incorporate the patch to your
>>> production
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> Any opinions if we want this (or modified) to go into CVS? I'm +0
>>> on it, not
>>> really sure and want to hear some opinions from the group.
>>>
>>> Stipe
>>>

>> --
>> Enver

Regards,
Kenny
p: +2348034939090, +919948701337
e: ke...@nuobjects.com
w: http://www.nuObjects.com

Enterprise SMS Solutions | Managed Hosting | Enterprise Software
Development | eCommerce Application Development