On 26.03.2009, at 07:50, jyoti wrote:

Hi,
If we use sms for push over ss7 E1 link.i.e directly connected to MSC,
instead of SMSC(SMPP),Does we will get an advantage?
if yes can we devlop kannel to support the above?

Waiting for Any suggestion.

Thanks & Regards
Jyoti Ranjan Panda

This is what we have been doing since 2001. It is major work.

To give you an idea: if you talk directly SS7, you are an SMSC. The store and forward part of an SMSC is no magic. Its just plugging in a database and some SMPP filling it. But then to send out the data, you need to query the HLR and process the response to then forward the SMS to the MSC or retry later if the subscriber is offline.

To be able to do that, you need to implement the following:

Level 1: E1 (Hardware)
Level 2: MTP2
Level 3: MTP3
Level 4: SCCP
Level 5: TCAP
Level 6: GSM-MAP
Level 7: SMS

So think about if you wanted to write Kannel but you would had to implement a ethernet driver , ethernet packet layer, IP, tcp, http, XML, soap all on top of it and from scratch. If you look at the specs of those protocols you get the idea. GSM-MAP alone is over 1'000 pages! For SMS you only need a few pages out of it but all the mumbo jumbo around it still matters somehow.

Our curent SMSC implementation has almost half a million lines of sourcecode. We started writing it in 2001 (and are still not really finished with it) because we needed an SMSC and the offers we got at that time where like 1.2 million US$ for a system doing 10msg/sec max (license limitation).

Now assume you do spend all the time of work for this, it's still worthless if you are not an operator because you need a plug to plug it in. And then the operators you are sending to will have to enable roaming with you so your numbers (which you have to get from the regulator) have to be implemented in their routing. And believe me, GSM operators are very picky whom they let send SMS into their network. And assuming you succeeded in all that, if you start sending volumes, you will have to sign a so called Interworking contract (AA. 19) which means you will have to pay something like 6 eurocent per SMS sent. So unless you receive a lot of SMS to balance off your traffic, your cost will be way higher than directly connecting to the operator on SMPP.

So if anyone has such an access, talk to me.

Andreas Fink

Fink Consulting GmbH
Global Networks Schweiz AG
BebbiCell AG
IceCell ehf

Tel: +41-61-6666330 Fax: +41-61-6666331  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  andr...@fink.org
www.finkconsulting.com www.global-networks.ch www.bebbicell.ch
ICQ: 8239353 MSN: m...@gni.ch AIM: smsrelay Skype: andreasfink
Yahoo: finkconsulting SMS: +41792457333