Hi,

Attached is a patch that allows passing the command_status on SMPP as
meta-data, on the smpp_error_code parameter, so on the logs (and dlr-url)
you'd get something like:

*[META:?smpp?smpp_error_code=72&]*
*
*
This would be command status value (which is 0 for accepted messages and a
positive integer for any other outcome).

This is based on some code Donald Jackson wrote for us time ago, and while
this might prove useful for some people, after speaking with Stipe he
mentioned that we can achieve similar results by parsing the %A parameter
on the dlr-url. In that case, the possible outcomes right now are:

*ACK/*
*NACK/0xXXXXXXXX/Error text*

In this case, for an accepted message, no numeric code is given.
For a rejected message, 0xXXXXXXXX contains the hex value of the
command_status

After discussing for a little bit, Stipe pretty much talked us out of the
idea of our patch because it's non-generic (only works for SMPP).

However, %A is far from perfect as well:

1. It's inconsistent. No numeric value is provided on ACK's.
2. You cannot tell the protocol, so if you're load-balancing binds with
different protocols you'd get different error codes with no way to
correlate them by protocol.
3. It's not documented either.

After a very healthy debate, we thought of the following approach, keeping
the %A method:

*ACK/SMPP:0x00000000/OK*
*NACK/SMPP:0x00000048/Invalid Source address TON*

This slightly breaks compatibility if you were already parsing the error
code on the NACK's or doing an exact match on "ACK/" but imho is not a big
deal.

Thoughts? Ideas? Is it something other people would be interested into?

Regards,

Alex