1.4.4 is quite stable for us, been using it for a while, so most likely
there is either bad connection between you & smsc upstream (check mtu /
packet drop) or there is some issue with smsc.

most likely your smsc forces you to use only 1 connection and for some
reason your current connection stales that's why new connection isn't
happening.