Dnia 2016-06-06, o godz. 11:53:41
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> napisał(a):

> Once upon a time, Eric Sandeen <sand...@redhat.com> said:
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=commit;h=109b9220cead6e979d22d16327c4d9f8350431cc
> >
> > +  ls now quotes file names unambiguously and appropriate for use in a
> > shell,
> > +  when outputting to a terminal.
>
> So, when output goes to a TTY, make the output for a shell (but when the
> output is used by a shell, as in a redirect, don't do that).  Brilliant!

It might sound stupid, but at least won't break existing scripts like
ls --format something | while read bla bla filename; do foo "$filename"; done

The decision to leave redirected output clean makes sense from compatibility
POV... BUT then another problem appears - writing new scripts from scratch, it
is now expected you start with `ls | cat`? ;) For some time the difference was
colors, now it's actual text.

Lam

PS. Let me know when terminal emulators select such filename with a
double-click...