On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:18:00 -0400, you wrote:

>Snaps function very much like how Apple's ecosystem does for software
>delivery, and perhaps even Microsoft's UWP ecosystem too. It's very
>clear that the purpose of Snaps are to provide avenues to "encourage"
>people to lock into the Ubuntu platform.
>
>So far, I've seen people gloss over the real crux of the problem,
>which is that somehow we're trying to create walled gardens, and no
>one wants to fix that.

No, the problem is that the developers of open source projects and
languages have viewed the strict rules around packages in a
distribution as a problem, and have worked around it.

Swift (you know, the hot new language that still isn't in Fedora), Go,
Python, Node.js, etc. have all created their own "packaging" systems
to either bypass the traditional Linux distribution or to handle
running on macOS or Windows that don't have a packaging system.

Combine this with the fact that a lot of the development (most?) is no
longer happening on Linux for various reasons, and that the dependency
chain on a lot of software is a packaging nightmare, and you have
Ubuntu (with Snap), GNOME (with Flatpak), and the server people (with
Docker) all coming up with simpler ways to try and get stuff packaged
given the lack of volunteers to even try and get stuff packaged in the
traditional way.

The current method of packaging rpms in Fedora is not working - there
are simply too many things that aren't getting packaged - and a
simpler alternative needs to be found.