On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 16 June 2016 at 14:23, Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazq...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> can
> >>
> >> Original netcat is obsolete, try socat or nmap-ncat.
> >
> > I don't think this was the original netcat but had been replaced by
> > the openbsd version a long time ago.

Yes. I believe you are right. It looks like nc was the openbsd version, and
nc6 was a fork of that? In either case, it seems they aren't needed, due to
nmap-ncat.

> Want me to ask the netcat author? i'll probably see him on Saturday.
>
> I admit that I find the simplicity of netcat's user interface to be
> much more graceful than socat's feature filled but excess complexity.

I agree, but it looks like both nc and nc6 are more directly replaced by
nmap-ncat. Presumably it adopts at least some of the simplicity of the
prior incarnations of netcat.

My conclusion: nc and nc6 should be retired. One thing I noticed was that
nc and nc6 are listed in comps (security-lab group), but I'm not sure the
packages even exist in f24. I guess that'll have to be fixed for a proper
retirement (instead of the orphan->6weeks->retire path they went through).