On Sat, 09.07.16 21:18, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbys...@in.waw.pl) wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 05:52:52PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > I kind-of understand why they don't like it: "placing an invisible
> > > object in a special location disables the security system".
> > > On the other hand, what is their alternative solution?
> >
> > No solution was offered for the general user-initiated /.autorelabel
> > case.  Some specific things were talked about for virt-builder but we
> > cannot use them for misc other reasons.  Here's the upstream thread:
> >
> >   https://marc.info/?t=146779851900007&r=1&w=2
>
> OK, I get why people don't want to enter permissive mode automatically
> if /.autorelabel exists.
>
> Maybe as a compromise, libselinux could be taught to look at a separate
> runtime configuration file to check whether permissive mode should be
> enabled (e.g. /run/selinux/config)? Then at least it would be possible
> to start in permissive mode without having to modify /etc/selinux/config
> or muck around with providing a fake /proc/cmdline.

Ah, eh, I should have read your mail first, before responding with my
other mail...

In systemd we pretty commonly support looking for config files in /run
and /usr/lib in addition to /etc, in order to support dynamically
generated settings and vendor defaults. However, in systemd /etc (as
being admin territory) usually overrides both /run and
/usr/lib. Hence, in order to follow this scheme I think an selinux
config file in /run that overrides one in /etc should probably be
called /run/selinux/config.override instead of /run/selinux/config.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat