On Tue, 2016-07-12 at 16:26 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:49:14 -0700
> Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>

> > So I've been discussing this with various people in the last few days,
> > and one specific idea has come out of that which I'd like to float.
> >
> > We've been hesitant to suggest this before as we thought packagers
> > might not like the idea, but we figured it can't hurt to at least
> > suggest it.
> >
> > The idea is this: there could be a requirement for all packages to
> > provide at least *some* kind of 'how to test' information.
> >
> > Looked at from the perspective of a new tester, the current system is
> > quite difficult to handle when it comes to upgrades of packages which
> > aren't obviously part of the critical path (e.g. kernel) or a well-
> > known GUI application package (e.g. firefox).
> >
> > How do we *expect* a new tester to respond when they come to an update
> > for fedmsg-meta-fedora-infrastructure , in Bodhi or fedora-easy-karma?
> > It's very difficult - probably impossible - for them to know or work
> > out what they should actually do to test this package.
> >
> > Of course, writing instructions for every single package is a lot of
> > work, but right now we have test cases for very few packages, and it
> > would definitely help if we could significantly increase that number.
> >
> > What do people think about this idea?
>
> Well, I'm not sure. How would the requirement be enforced?

For new packages, it could be a requirement at the package review stage.

> Packages without such test cases couldn't get any +1s?

For maximum lulz, for existing packages, how about you can't submit an
update till you provide some test instructions? ;)

(/me buys shares in pitchforks and flaming torches)

There's various levels of 'enforcement' we could have, for now I didn't
want to get too far into the details and just discuss the idea.

> I think thats probably a bit harsh. We could try and encourage people
> to add them however, perhaps series of badges for writing test case
> pages? Or a note/warning on the bodhi page or fedora-easy-karma noting
> that there's no tests?
>
> Some packages are definitely going to be harder than others...
>
> kevin
> --

Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey