On Wed, 2016-07-13 at 10:55 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:

> An individual wanting to get started in Fedora packaging has to prove
> their competence and understanding of the packaging guidelines by
> commenting on package review requests in addition to submitting their
> own package for review.  There is a side door to this in the form of
> co-maintainership but that too is gated by a Fedora contributor.
>
> What I am looking for is a mechanism similar to that for testing.
> Maybe one way to do this would be to allow everyone to comment but
> restrict karma rights only to individuals who are in a specific group
> and then have that group gated by a testing mentor.  This in itself
> will give plenty of opportunity for mentoring.

We have a high bar for packagers because packagers have an awful lot of
power to cause problems both intentionally and unintentionally. People
filing update feedback don't: all they can do is influence, to a
degree, whether updates submitted by packagers go out or not. Bodhi is,
as Gerald said, a rough sanity check mechanism, it is not intended and
never *has* been intended to be a perfect gating mechanism at which you
can throw anything and be sure you'll get the right result. Packagers
still ultimately are held responsible for the quality of their updates.

We (QA) are certainly happy to look into any possible karma errors, as
we have done in this case, quite extensively, and made changes to the
feedback guidelines as a result. But I don't think it's really viable
or appropriate to construct a wall as high as the one for packagers
just to be allowed to leave karma.

Note we had a 'proventesters' mechanism for a while which attempted to
give feedback from 'trusted' testers somewhat more significance than
feedback from any registered user, but it didn't work out entirely
great and got mothballed...
--

Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey