On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> > But there's no triage team. Adding another layer of indirection without
>> > a dedicated new workforce would likely just divert resources away
>> > from the existing bug fixing process.
>> And before anyone asks - we've tried to have a triage team several
>> times and it has never really worked so far. It's a hard and relatively
>
> Right, so, this is part of the context for my idea above. There *isn't*
> a triage team, but there *is* a community around Ask Fedora, and we
> could build from that. It wouldn't be the same at all as previous
> efforts to "bugzilla-garden"

I appreciate the idea, but I'm not sure it will actually pan out that way.

Right now, the bulk of problem reports for users still go to bugzilla
either via ABRT or manual filing.  Ask is used more for true newbies
or for issues where the person doesn't even know where to file the
bug.  The community helping there can handle the type and number of
issues being reported.  It's users helping users.
If we start directing users to Ask instead of bugzilla in a
coordinated effort, I'm afraid a few things will happen:

a) The problem of maintainers ignoring bug reports will become even
more prevalent because asking them to monitor multiple locations for
problem reports.

b) Regardless of whether A happens or not, we run the risk of
information loss and excess process being implemented.  Bugzilla and
Ask could be linked somehow, but bridges rarely work well.

c) We'll quickly burn the existing Ask community out.

This works in IT because they have dedicated customer support teams.
We do not.  The problem we face is not really the tools we have, but
the lack of people dedicated to customer support.  Trying to jumpstart
one from the Ask community seems to be asking an awful lot.

josh