On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I've talked about this before, but maybe the F26 cycle is time to make
> it happen. Right now, we have only one way of saying "this bug is
> important to the project as a whole; could we please get resources
> focused on it?" — and that way is to stop the whole vehicle until
> someone does something about it. This has always been kind of
> problematic, even though it has served well enough so far... but as we
> move to more deliverables and add things with different lifecycles, I
> think we need something else.
>
> We have the Accepted Blockers
> <https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/milestone/25/final/buglist>
> list. The process is nicely documented at
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_blocker_bug_process>; please
> read that if you're not familiar.
>
> I propose we create a parallel "Critical Issues"  list, using basically
> the same procedures. Issues eligible for this status would be those
> which do not necessarily fail a release criterion but which have
> critical impact on a Fedora Edition or on a council-approved Fedora
> Objective.
>
> Since Fedora is a volunteer process, this can't be backed by a hard
> mandate (like the "block the release!" emergency brake), but if we
> agree together to take it seriously, I think it will still provide a
> useful list. Anyone with a package or component involved in the issue
> will be able to see the impact, and take that into account when
> prioritizing. As FPL, it'd give me a nice overview of issues that might
> need extra resources or coordination.
>
> We could either implement this by extending the existing blocker bug
> process — adding a new tracker bug, add a new category in the
> blockerbug app, and review candidate issues at the normal blocker
> review meetings. Or, it could be done in parallel, with a
> separately-configured instance of the blockerbug app and with review
> in a separate meeting called as needed (or maybe just FESCo?)
>
> As with the existing Blocker or Freeze Exception levels, we could also
> introduce a second tier "Important Issues", which could have a wider
> net than the rules for "Critical Issues". I'm not sure about that.
>
> In any case, what do you all think?

If this can be prominently included in a concise "how you can help
make Fedora better" as a form of contributor recruitment, it'd
probably be more enticing as well as helpful. If there were some
consolidated, yet sortable list of To Do's: sortable by priority, and
by expertise needed, and maybe an effort estimate, I think we'd find
many small things getting more attention. It'd be easy to dive in, do
something, finish it, and duck out.

A way of advertising a path to getting more intermediate-expert types,
rather than having to always depend on the same people for blockers
and big fixes every release.

Also a nice to have with this would be a Fantasy Fedora mechanism. A
way to put together a virtual team and send out invites: here's
something that needs work, what do you three people think of solving
this problem together?

--
Chris Murphy