On Friday, 07 October 2016 at 19:35, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 06:43:10PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> > I was made aware that EOL software with known security bugs that will
> > not be fixed upstream (due to EOL status) was reviewed and accepted into
> > Fedora recently. This came on the back of the FPC ticket [1] asking to
> > make some changes in the Python Packaging Guidelines. I did go back and
> > re-read our current guidelines and found that we don't have any policy
> > on that. As a result, I opened a FESCo ticket [2] with the aim of
> > establishing a clear policy on how to treat EOL software with known
> > security vulnerabilities.
>
> A parallel could be drawn between previous python versions and
> previous C standards, like c89, c90, c99, etc. One could say that they
> are obsolete, but it is still very convenient to be able to add
> CFLAGS=-ansi.

gcc is a bit of a special case IMHO. It's rarely installed on servers,
especially Internet-facing ones. The only runtime component is libgcc,
which is fairly small and even if you're using an application binary
compiled with an ancient gcc because it won't compile with a newer one,
any vulnerabilities will more likely come from that application than from
gcc itself.

> The difference is that gcc has this built in, while
> python does not have compatibility with previous "standards", so the
> only way to test with previous versions is to run those previous
> versions.  It's damn useful for testing, and it's much more convenient
> to do it through dnf install than through
> virtualization/containers/cloud/hand-compilation/copr/other-nonstandard-things.
>
> So from my side, a vote for
> 1. labelling old pythons very clearly as such,

How do you propose we do that? I can imagine patching the interpreter
to print some warning about this every time it's run, but I wonder
if that's too much to ask.

> 2. allowing people to install them using dnf.

I am not denying the usefulness, though I wonder why you would want to
test against an unmaintained branch. I can see a case for python-2.6,
which will be maintained by Red Hat for a couple more years and I'd expect
the Fedora maintainer to either be the same person who maintains it in
RHEL or that they follow the RHEL package closely otherwise. I can't find
python3 in RHEL, so the above doesn't hold for python3.x.

Also, your point 2. is achievable through COPR.

However, my point is a more general one, that's why I'm asking our
security team for their thoughts as well. You'll notice that I
purposefully propose to leave a way for such packages to enter Fedora
anyway after their risks and benefits have been reviewed by FESCo and/or
FST. I hope you'll agree that such packages deserve greater scrutiny.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
"Faith manages."