On St, 2016-10-12 at 08:22 +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-10-11 at 16:46 +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:
> >
> > On 2016-10-11, Remi Collet <fed...@famillecollet.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > It doesn't seem possible to use a compat library (else we will
> > > very
> > > probably going to encounter issues is both library versions are
> > > used in
> > > the same process, because of the numerous libraries linked to PHP
> > > or its
> > > extensions)
> > >
> > That's true. I was just porting a Perl package to OpenSSL 1.1.0 and
> > while the ported code build and passed all tests when built against
> > old
> > OpenSSL, it crashed when linked to the new OpenSSL. The reason
> > there
> > was another Perl package loaded into the process that was linked to
> > the old OpenSSL.
> Was the load using dlopen() or simply an indirect link?

Also what I would expect to crash is situation where the perl modules
linked to different OpenSSL versions try to pass the references to
OpenSSL data structures across the versions. That certainly won't work.

On the other hand the scenario where one library linked by an
application uses OpenSSL 1.1 for TLS and another library uses OpenSSL
1.0 for SHA256 hashing, should work - at least it worked for me when I
tested it.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb