On Thu, 2016-10-13 at 19:33 +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:

> > That's not the intent of the fields as I understand them. 'severity' is
> > supposed to represent how bad the bug is, whereas 'priority' is
> > supposed to represent how important it is to get it fixed compared to
> > other bugs in the same component. They're obviously related, but not
> > the same, and it's not "severity is the reporter's opinion, priority is
> > the maintainers' opinion", no.
>
> My understanding is based on ye olde services plan:
>
> "Bugzilla Severity and Priority
>
> When filing a new bug report, or actioning an existing bug, it is
> important to bear in mind that, while both the 'Severity' and 'Priority'
> fields are required; 'Priority' is an internal weighting and 'Severity'
> is customer weighting. This distinction can cause confusion if not
> consistant."
>
> This is only significant in that it may have impacted the way they are
> coded on BRC.
>
> > I think you might be right that we allow the bug reporter to set
> > 'severity', though.
>
> BRC carries a custom patch to restrict priority to a group besides
> editbugs group (the setpriority group), AFAICT there is no code that
> allows similar restriction of the severity field.

Ah, interesting. I don't really have any particular source for my
understanding of them, it's just something I've been carrying around
for a while, I guess. However, Fedora definitely does not handle bugs
the same as RHEL, so we're not necessarily *bound* by that
definition...but we could use it if we liked.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey