On 31 October 2016 at 14:56, Bastien Nocera <bnoc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd really like the kernel to do QoS on the user's own connections. We can
> know
> whether downloads are interactive or not, so there is metadata available
> to make this better, and not cripple interactive downloads while background
> downloads are ongoing.

We actually do this with PackageKit. It used to work when we were
using yum, but I don't think the libdnf code does any kind of
throttling. Certainly PackageKit knows which transactions are
background and non-interactive, so it certainly makes sense to dribble
those down slowly.

I think this kind of issue is really fixed the hard way, i.e. fixing
bugs and adding unimplemented features rather than just adding complex
UI workarounds.

Richard.