Jan Kurik wrote:
> We will deploy an instance of the Module Build Service (MBS) to
> production in Fedora Infrastructure. Other teams will use this service
> to produce some "modular" content for the Fedora 26 release.
>
> In short, the MBS is a workflow orchestration service on top of koji.
> When a user submits a request for a new module build:
>
> * A new tag is created in koji for that module build.
> * A module-build macros package is synthesized and built in the new
> buildroot.
> * The buildroot is linked with other module tags that it has declared
> dependencies on.
> * RPMs to be included in the module are rebuilt from source in the new
> tag.
> * Kojira generates a yum/dnf repo from the new tag.
>
> The compose tooling (pungi) will then pick up this tag and possibly
> include it in variants for the compose.

So, in short, instead of having one consistent Fedora, we will have an
uncoordinated patchwork of several isolated island repositories that may or
may not be compatible with each other, bringing us back to the old
repository hell ("RPM hell") that ruined the reputation of RPM in the old
days. Why is this something we want at all?

Modular Fedora is a horrible idea from the ground up!

        Kevin Kofler