On Fri, 2016-11-11 at 09:41 -0800, Richard Johnson wrote:
> I'm very new to this but I'd like to help out.  I actually saw the
> problem a little while back, when I tried to mount an HFS+ FS onto my
> Fedora mac.  It mounted ro.

That in itself is not a bug (except in the sense of 'missing feature').
It's intended to do that, because the Linux HFS+ support cannot safely
write to journalled HFS+. So when the HFS+ filesystem has journalling
enabled, it's intentionally mounted read-only.

The actual issue in the blocker bug is basically that blivet (the
storage module anaconda uses) misidentifies the macOS partition as
being an existing 'macefi' partition and tries to re-use it.

'macefi' partitions are a slightly odd thing we invented basically to
trick Macs into showing Fedora on their nice graphical boot menu. I can
explain in more detail if you like, but you don't really need to know,
all you need to know is that anaconda thinks the macOS partition (which
it absolutely shouldn't do anything at all to) is something else
entirely, and tries to mount it and write stuff to it. Which means
that:

i) Fedora won't boot, because for Fedora to boot we need to find or
create a *real* macefi partition and write to it

ii) If the macOS partition could be mounted read-write we would
probably nuke your macOS install very badly, but fortunately, it almost
never will be (only if you'd explicitly disabled journalling on it for
some reason)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey