On 6 December 2016 at 09:00, Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 05:01:24PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> > There is another problem with .0...N releases.  As soon as you version
>> > your main release like that, everyone assumes .0 is unstable or broken
>> > and they wait for .1.  Some wait for .2 (which doesn't exist in your
>> > proposal but clearly could).  This is a perception problem more than
>> > anything, but it exists and is quite common.  In products that have a
>> > multi-year lifespan that isn't ideal but it also isn't the end of the
>> > world.  It just means your adoption curves look similar to Fedora's
>> > today and the end result is that the majority of your users are
>> > migrated when that release is well into its support lifecycle.
>>
>> Good point. So, I guess, another way to do this — especially if we like
>> the "it's a big batched update" approach rather than having split
>> lifecycles — would be to not call 'em .0 and .1 but keep to the integer
>> version numbers released in June and call the update bundle some
>> arbitrary name like "November Update".
>>
>> Or we could just use .a and .b instead of .0 and .1. Or .j and .n for
>> June and November.
>
> With my QA hat on, I believe using decimal releases (integers, characters or
> anything else) is a bad idea. The reason is that people don't remember it.
> Most people remember whether they have Fedora 22/23/24 or Windows 7/8/10. But
> they almost never remember whether they have 23.0 or 23.1. At least that was
> my experience when I was involved in Ubuntu in the past - when we asked "what
> version of Ubuntu do you have?" the answer has in 99% of cases was "Ubuntu
> 12". And then we had to follow up "12.04 or 12.10?" (those two being
> completely different releases of course, as in Fedora 23 vs 24). And then "I
> don't know, how do I find out?". This conversation starter was there almost
> every single freaking time, a huge time waster. Decimal points are a nice
> idea, but people just. don't. remember. (or perhaps ignore it as
> insignificant). I'd rather keep Fedora releases as integers, even if we
> decide to implement some of that what was proposed.

I am used to a similar problem with RHEL/CentOS world.. a lot of
people will say they are on RHEL-6.3 or 7.1 even though they have
updated to the day they ask for a problem. That version was required
or written down and that is what they will say it is period. I expect
that no matter what you call the .release people will refer to the
major number and be confused that there could be different versions

> Unless... unless we can bring back "Beefy Miracle"-like codenames as the big
> update names. Then I'd consider it, just for the fun involved ;-)

Stephen J Smoogen.