On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 19:44:22 -0500 (EST)
Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 21:42:07 -0600
> > Eric Sandeen <sand...@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Seems like the file date is still well in the past
> >> (2015-12-15) and does not actually contain a newline;
> >> webserver behavior change?
> >
> > Looking at archive.org, I do see the newline in:
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20150616184630/https://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt
> > but not in:
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20160213221103/http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt
> >
> > Indeed it seems the changes made on 2015-12-15 removed the
> > newline. ;(
> >
> > Sorry about that.
> >
> > I can put it back since it seems like NetworkManager's portal
> > detection doesn't care, or just leave it off now since it's been
> > that way for around a year?
>
> I guess leave it as is. But it would be good if we can find out what
> happened, and fix the process.

Well, the longer description of things was:

fedoraproject.org was/is created from the fedora-websites git repo.
Over the years, much of it's moved to other places, ie, getfedora.org
and the like. Last december, the websites team thought they could just
stop building/syncing fedoraproject.org website. This was fine until we
deployed a new proxy and it could not get any of the files for that
site, including and importantly: hotspot.txt. So, we quickly setup a
alias to another file for hotspot.txt and created it in ansible with a
'contents=OK' since it was not at all clear that a \n was in there or
important. And indeed everyone using the NM detection said it was
working fine, so we left it at that.

kevin