Just realized I never posted my final update to this thread, so in case anyone
else ever wanders here looking for answers:

Any precompiled glib schema file is not needed -- if the *.gschema.xml file(s)
are moved to  %{buildroot}/%{_datadir}/glib-2.0/schemas/  at the end of the
%install section of the RPM spec. And it would be more standard to move the
gschemas there, so you should do it.

So, move the *.gschema.xml files, and then delete gschemas.compiled file. You
could even delete the extension's own schemas subdirectory (under
%{buildroot}/%{_datadir}/gnome-shell/extensions/%{UUID}/ ), because by then it
should be empty.