On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 07:45 +0000, Farhad Mohammadi Majd wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 07:04:57AM -0000, Farhad Mohammadi Majd wrote:
> >
> > You seem to have missed this in Adam's email
>
> No, I don't missed anything.
>
> > i) just getting things right so we don't need a giant pile of
> > configuration tools
> > ii) tools written at more appropriate layers, mainly desktop
> > environments
>
> "so we don't need" What is his mean about "WE" ?!
>
> * professional and long time system administrators?
> * Fedora developers?
> * amateur users? special users who come from windows?

The specific example I was thinking about there was hardware
configuration.

Once Upon A Time, almost every distro had a big shiny configuration
tool you could use to configure X - you'd tell it what graphics card
you had, and what resolution and refresh rate you wanted, and it had
all sorts of whizzy buttons for doing other things. We had similar
tools for configuring sound cards.

Now we don't have that, because we decided that instead of spending all
this time maintaining that stuff, we should just make X figure out your
hardware configuration and set itself up properly. So now it auto-
detects what card you have and loads the right driver, and auto-detects
the native resolution and refresh rate of your monitor so you don't
have to tell a configuration tool what they are. So we don't have
system-config-display any more, because it's not necessary.

The desktop environments each have their own tool for using non-default
resolutions and arranging multi-head displays and stuff, which means
they only have to get written once per desktop (every distro can use
the same ones).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey