25.04.2017 02:47 Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Rafal Luzynski
> <digitalfr...@lingonborough.com> wrote:
> > 23.04.2017 19:23 Christopher <ctubb...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can set the name of the file via the GitHub API when you download it.
> >>
> >> For jQuery (packaged as js-jquery), I use:
> >> https://github.com/jquery/jquery/archive/%{version}/jquery-%{version}.tar.gz
> >>
> >> This will work for any GitHub project which tags released versions:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/<user-or-group>/<repo>/archive/<tag-commit-or-branch>/<preferred-file-name>.tar.gz
> >> [...]
> >
> > I'm afraid this will not work because (according to the GitHub
> > repo) this project has 0 release tags. Also the archive has been
> > created only 23 days ago. Isn't it too early to package a project
> > which has not yet ever been released upstream?
>
> Been there, done that. It assumes that other people are following your
> own model of how source control or product releases work.

Of course, there are multiple ways to manage product releases.
The spec file must be adapted to the way the source repo is managed.

Globe Trotter has already explained in another post that he is also
upstream so he is able to rework both sides and choose the most
comfortable way.

> [...]
> I'll note that it is not "incorrect" to import a project without full
> history and logs. True, it discards history. [...]

I meant that a "correct" way to import is the way according to what
the maintainer wanted. History, at least partial, and tags help
maintaining the releases. Again, there are multiple ways to achieve
the result but I guess that release tags are what Globe Trotter
would like.

Regards,

Rafal