Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> AW> Right, that's a good point. *Why* exactly do we want to go to all
> AW> the trouble involved in making a switchover from 'python-foo'
> AW> meaning 'the Python 2 module called foo' to meaning 'the Python 3
> AW> module called foo'?
>
> It's about users.  Once "python" means python3 (which is a decision
> that the python upstream will eventually make), a user should be
> getting a python3 version when they type "dnf install python-foo".

What exactly is the use case for that, though?

An end user who wants to use That Nifty Program should be able to do
"dnf install niftyprogram" without any "python-" prefix. They neither
know nor care about what language That Nifty Program is written in.

A programmer who wants to use Some Helpful Library in their program had
better know what language they're programming in. If they're writing a
Python 3 program then they'll know to install python3-helpfullib. If
they're stuck maintaining an old Python 2 program, then giving them a
Python 3 library isn't going to help them. When Some Helpful Library
for Python 2 goes away, then the programmer will discover this faster
and cleaner by noticing that there is no python-helpfullib or
python2-helpfullib package, than by unknowingly installing the Python 3
version and then having to figure out why things aren't working.

So what category of users is this supposed to be useful to?

Björn Persson