On Mon, 2017-07-10 at 00:46 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > = System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Graphical_Applications_as_Fl
> > atpaks
> >
> > Change owner(s):
> > * Owen Taylor <otay...@redhat.com>
>
> This change is leaving several questions unanswered:
>
> * As I understand it, those Flatpaks are going to be built from RPMs.
> Is the
> intent to ship both the original RPMs and the Flatpak or only the
> Flatpak
> (or is this going to depend on the individual package)? And if the
> former,
> are the shipped RPMs going to be the FHS-compliant version or the
> one
> relocated into Flatpak's proprietary prefix?
I can image Flatpak applications that are not available in Fedora as
RPMs (or as a RPM in COPR, etc.) that use Fedora RPMs for their
dependencies, possibly bundling the few missing dependencies on top.

> * What is the advantage of shipping Fedora distribution packages to
> Fedora
> users as Flatpaks? I see only drawbacks compared to RPM, because
> everything
> not included in the base runtime must be bundled, so we have all the
> usual
> issues of bundled libraries: larger downloads, more disk consumption,
> more
> RAM consumption (shared system libraries are also shared in RAM),
> slower and
> less efficient delivery of security fixes, FHS noncompliance, etc.
I see quite a few:
- thanks to how runtimes work it should be possibly to install Flatpack
 applications to older/newer Fedora releases than the one where the
application originates from
- easy to use development versions without breaking the RPM installed
version of an application
- I guess it should be possibly to install multiple version of an
application in parallel (for testing, etc.)
- better sandboxing than RPM installed apps, possibly improving
security

> And the
> portability argument is moot when we are talking about delivering
> Fedora
> software to Fedora users.
I would still expect the resulting Flatpacks to work even on let's say
Ubuntu given how (AFAIK) the Flatpak runtimes work. So I don't think
this argument is moot.

> I strongly oppose this change.
As I understand the change this is just an additional mechanism for
graphical application delivery - no one is taking away the normal RPM
based mechanism. So I don't think it makes sense to oppose an effort
that is just providing an additional mechanism to what we already have
now.