On 01/08/2017 23:38, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 01 August 2017 at 14:19, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> We still build a special glibc variant for Xen which avoids certain
>> segment-relative accesses which are difficult to emulate with
>> paravirtualization..
>>
>> Is this still needed?  Can we drop it?
> What is the performance difference between running a regular glibc under
> Xen vs. this special one? I believe there may still be some value in
> running Fedora in a Xen i686 guest VM.

The performance difference was very significant, though like others I
cannot really give a figure.

However, it only applied if you were running in a 32-bit hypervisor.  I
think this set up is pretty much dead.  Even though Amazon and others
are using Xen and are still running paravirtualized guests, they're
using 64-bit hypervisors.  CCing Vitaly for confirmation.

Paolo