On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 08:56 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:24 AM, Jan Kurik <jku...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > The proposed change is about deprecating libidn, which supports
> > IDNA2003, and switch all applications using libidn, to libidn2
> > 2.0.0,
> > which supports IDNA2008.
>
> Any plans to migrate applications that use ICU's deprecated IDNA2003
> functions?

I'm not familiar with ICU so I left it outside the scope of that
change. However, it would make sense to have a larger change that
includes ICU as well.

Currently most challenges were on subtle incompatibilities between
libidn and libidn2.

> Thanks for pointing out that WebKit has (quite recently) switched to
> nontransitional IDNA2008. Epiphany is still doing transitional
> processing. I'll turn that off now.

Note that as a browser you may want to be as compatible as possible.
Firefox for example switches to IDNA transitional (i.e., 2003) when the
string cannot be expressed in IDNA2008 (e.g., contains disallowed
characters). With libidn2 that can be expressed as:
https://libidn.gitlab.io/libidn2/manual/libidn2.html#Converting-with-backwards-compatibility

regards,
Nikos