On Thu, 22.07.10 21:30, Horst H. von Brand (vonbr...@inf.utfsm.cl) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 22.07.10 15:19, Simo Sorce (sso...@redhat.com) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Bad example, it may make sense if you have a single host, but if you
> > > have multiple HTTP servers, you want the one that died to stop answering
> > > until it is back up and running and ready to server requests.
> > >
> > > The last thing you want is to have a client wait forever because the
> > > systemd doesn't kill the socket but apache is not able to properly
> > > restart (say for a configuration mistake).
>
> > Well, not everything makes sense in all contexts. If you have a fallback
> > web server in place then you don't need this trick. But I am pretty sure
> > there are more web serving devices on this planets that do no failover
> > like you suggest then there are that do this. And for those, which
> > otherwise have no defined fallback path it is certainly really awesome
> > if they can just restart apache if it crashes and can rest assured that
> > they won't lose any request except the one apache actually crashed on.
>
> Sorry, but what if the configuration got screwed up, and <whatever daemon>
> just won't start properly? Was replaced by a broken version which crashes
> on startup? Or gets into a loop (or just does something very timeconsuming
> sometimes) before being ready to answer? This _needs_ answers.

Well, if a service might take an hour to start up it is not a good
candidate for socket activation.

We ratelimit process spawning in systemd. If a unit is respawned too
often in a certain amount of time we give up and put the service in
maintainance mode. Simialr for the socket.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.