On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:09 AM Tomas Mraz <tm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-10-11 at 05:33 +0000, Christopher wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <
> > domi...@greysector.net> wrote:

> > > about

> > > as
> > >
> > > all

> > > set
> > >
> > > it
> > >
> > > system
> > >
> > > Alternatives are for things that are drop-in replacements. As far
> > > as I
> > > know, gpg2 is not a drop-in replacement for gpg1.
> > >

> > I suppose it depends on which characteristics you're considering when
> > you
> > compare the two. I can't be the only one who has noticed their
> > command-line
> > usage similarities, which is the characteristic I would expect to
> > matter
> > when considering using the alternatives system.
>
> I think that the incompatibility of the key storage warrants for not
> using the alternatives system in this case.

The alternatives system is there to provide choice between different
implementations. The fact that they have different implementations of their
backend storage is not a reason to avoid alternatives... it's a reason to
use it to provide users a choice. Not using alternatives is just going to
make it harder for users to switch back to gpg1 when gpg2 is made the
default gpg, if a user needs to continue using the old storage format. It
won't affect me, though. I'll be using gpg2, regardless. I was just
thinking of trying to support those other users who need/want to stay on
the old implementation.